Saturday, May 28, 2011

East Coast: History You Can Wrap Your Arms Around

I grew up on the east coast of the USA but now live in southern California. We're missing a couple of things her. Snow is one of them but layers of history is another and I do miss it.

Here there is the ancient history of the native peoples and you see lovely signs of it in the most unsuspected places. An old dam, a grinding rock for grain preparation for example. And the museums of anthropology exhibit testimony to the ways in which native people made everyday objects beautiful. I love that.

But east coast history has layers and layers of people living on the land that you can feel if you are open and sit quietly in one place looking and observing the way the land is and what's upon it.

I'm sorry, So Cal. Your are smack-you-in-the-head beautiful with a climate hard to match. It's easy to live on your land. But when I really want to feel our nations long history give me the east coast any day. Everywhere back east has that "sense of place" I grew up on.

Eckhart Cemetery overlooking Eckhart and Eckhart Mines in Western Maryland.

No comments:

Post a Comment