Monday, March 12, 2012

Index THAT!

I've been doing some indexing to get ready for the 1940 US Census. I'm jazzed about indexing the 1940 census... well who knows what can happen in 10 years time when the 1950 census comes around!

These "practice" indexing jobs are small and fun. And I know that if I can't finish in what I consider a timely manner I can return it. Which I did to one this morning. There's a lot on my plate this week and I didn't feel comfortable holding on to the batch all week. Like to get them and return them in 24 to 48 hours. It's fill-in for me so I enter a file every now and then during the day and before I know it the job is done and returned.

I had a run at indexing a sample page of the 1940 census and messed it up. Got confused about "same house" and how to go back to the previous page... well if you've done the practice page you know what I'm talking about. And if not, never mind, just know that I messed up. But I also learned and that's what matters:)

I like indexing death records. Have had a bunch of batches for Texas. 1912, 1921, and 1953. The handwritten ones were extremely difficult for me to read but in the end I managed.

While watching Who Do You Think You Are last Friday, noticed the mention of historical record keeping when it came to African Americans. The researcher indicated that white recorders often didn't take the detailed approach with black citizens that they did with white ones. I could see that played out in the death certificates I indexed, especially the ones from the first two decades of the last century.

On a lighter note, I got one batch of death certificates from 1912 and found two individuals who died from a gunshot wound to the heart... and the notation of "family argument" ... and the notation "suicide"! (Maybe that's not a lighter note.)

Picture of the day from my archive:

The five of the six daughters of Samuel Albert House and Mary Elizabeth Farrell.
Sadie Reckley, Nan Long, Molly Davis, Nora Kaseycamp, and Kate Whetstone (front).
Year unknown.


No comments:

Post a Comment