Saturday, February 4, 2012

My Best Shot at Matralinial DNA

It's always fun to check out Randy Seaver's SNGF, or Saturday Night Genealogy Fun, at http://www.geneamusings.com/2012/01/saturday-night-genealogy-fun-your.html

His Fun for last Saturday (yes, I'm about a week behind, oh golly) is about Mom's patralinial line and male descendants. It gave me pause... which of my living male relatives might be the carrier of my matrilinial line DNA?

I followed the logic, going back a couple of generations, with the objective of then reaching out to male relatives still living. Suddenly it hit me like a ton of bricks: Cousin JC!! He's Mom's brother's son. And I guess that qualifies... although I'll be the first to admit that I know very little about the DNA stuff. If I have it correct, my brother is the carrier of Dad's patrilineal DNA. But on Mom's side, the DNA carrier must be a direct male descendant of the Williams line. And that's cousin JC. His Dad was Camey Junior and Camey Jr's father was my Mom's father. So male to male to male.

Now I know where to find Cousin JC... next step is to find out more about this DNA stuff and how that testing works. Think I might have to chase him down the street with a swab kit grabbing at his cheek;)

Cousin JC and his brother Mike, 1958.

No comments:

Post a Comment