Wednesday, June 25, 2014

GEDmatch, I love you but you're driving me crazy!



And this is what I saw this morning when I tried to sign in to GEDmatch! Grrrr.

At this point I'd pay, as would Kerry, blogger extraordinaire over at the Clue Wagon. In this post she says that she'd gladly pay if it meant GEDmatch would be up and running more. Here's what she wrote about it all and a bunch more stuff to boot. It's worth your reading time.

Here’s the thing, though: I can’t complain. GEDmatch is run by a couple of smartiacs who are real humans, with full-time jobs and lives that (oddly) don’t seem to revolve around my personal needs. The site is 100% free, and subsists only on donations and the generosity of its owners. Under those circumstances, it’s a miracle that the site ever works. We’re extremely lucky to have it.

And I have to agree with her, as I usually do. I too am really thankful that those guys over at GEDmatch are as clever as they are! What they do is genius. And the site keeps getting better all the time. The new triangulation tools are Da Bomb. So here I was all excited this morning to get back going on the Farrell project because I had some traction now, but there was that nasty gray screen you see above. The thing that worries me most is that the usual message that the site is down and they are working on it and it should be back up in _________ (fill in the blank with the timeframe of your choice, often 2 weeks) is missing. But today all I get is that stupid gray screen. Now I'm sad.

UPDATE, 6/26/2014: This morning GEDmatch entry page says that they should have some limited services up by the weekend. They are trying to move the servers again and full service will hopefully resume in a couple more weeks. They are trying and I'm no longer sad.



The URL for this post is: http://nutsfromthefamilytree.blogspot.com/2014/06/gedmatch-i-love-you-but-youre-driving.html

No comments:

Post a Comment