Monday, July 9, 2012

A Reasonably Exhaustive Search

Now as you can tell, I'm having fun with this genealogy. I try my best on any given day to be as qualitative as possible but most of the time, as judged by the larger view of the craft, I really have very little idea what I'm doing. 

You might know that Mom has been doing this genealogy stuff sine the 1970s so she's done all the hard work of it, and she has standards. Like all Moms everywhere who want things to be better and maybe a tad easier for their kids, she's given me her GEDCOM with no specific instructions.  So I snoop around looking for ancestor puzzle pieces and stories. There are plenty or good stories and that makes us both happy.

Recently was very interested in the New England Historic Genealogical Society's issue of "American Ancestors", especially the article, "Weighing the Evidence." I learned a lot about the practical difference between these words: definite, possibly, likely, perhaps, or possibly. And once again I spent some quality time with the Genealogical Proof Standard.

Now I do understand that it's very important to make a "reasonably exhaustive search." But I have to confess that most days it just feels like a reasonably exhausting search!

Mom's under the weather due to an accident so please keep a good thought for her. Thanks.

Photo of the day from the Archive:

Mom and Dad, 1942,
Francis Patrick Kelly (1916 - 2007)



The URL for this post is: http://nutsfromthefamilytree.blogspot.com/2012/07/reasonably-exhaustive-search.html

No comments:

Post a Comment